About this role
Our hospital Welcome Guides are the first point of contact for patients and visitors when they arrive at the Royal Hospital for Children, offering a friendly face and expert knowldege of the hospital and the services we offer. You will ensure patients and visitors are signposted to where they want to go, provide clear information about our services and other facilites in the hospital or simply be on hand to offer some reassurance for visitors in an unfamiliar environment.
You will be based in the busy main atrium on the ground floor of the hospital. Here there are electronic self-service check-in kiosks for patients attending clinics in the outpatient area and our Welcome Guide volunteers will assist patients and their families in the use of these systems and advise on clinic location.
To be accepted for this role, you must:
• Be aged over 18
• Pass a PVG check and occupational health screening
• Supply two satisfactory references
• Confidence and being pro-active in approaching visitors
• Able to navigate around the building independently and give clear instructions
• Adaptable, flexible and willing to learn
• Friendly, confident and enthusiastic
• Polite, courteous and reliable
• Volunteering and/or customer care experience
• Strong interactive skills
• Experience of working in a healthcare environment and/or with children and young people
• Recognition of the importance of boundaries and confidentiality
• Ability to understand when assistance is required or distance is preferred
• A unique and rewarding volunteer role
• Full training and hospital orientation
• Great experience for your CV
We ask you to commit to a minimum of one three hour shift per week (morning or afternoon, Monday to Friday) for a minimum of 12 months.