Health & Beauty Volunteer
About this role
Being in hospital is a difficult experience for anyone, but particularly for children and young people, who are away from their home comforts and regular routine. This can be especially true for young girls who may need a boost in confidence and self-esteem or simply a special treat. By offering a short beauty treatment or mini pampering session with a range of services such as hair care, nail painting and make up, you can help to brighten a patient’s day and make them feel much better.
To be accepted for this role, you must:
• Be aged over 18
• Pass a PVG check and occupational health screening
• Supply two satisfactory references
NB - Gel nails and nail varnish cannot be worn if you are accepted for this ward based volunteer role. This is due to infection control regulations.
• Qualifications and experience in hair, make up and beauty treatments
• Confidence and being pro-active in interacting with children and young people
• Able to relate to people in a friendly and calm manner
• Ability to empathise and to maintain complete confidentiality
• Adaptable, flexible and willing to learn
• Tactful and diplomatic, especially in stressful or emotional situations
• Creative, confident and enthusiastic
• Polite, courteous and reliable
• Volunteering experience
• Experience of working in a healthcare environment and/or with children and young people
• Recognition of the importance of boundaries and confidentiality
• A unique and rewarding volunteer role
• Full training and hospital orientation
• Great experience for your CV
We ask you to commit to a minimum of one three hour shift per week (morning or afternoon, Monday to Friday) for a minimum of 12 months.